Tuesday, February 2, 2010

blogging my day

Okay so I haven't been able to get on here to blog as often as I was intending. My sister says that blogging just isn't for me. So I am sitting here blogging instead of studying for my two biology tests that I have coming up on Friday.
You know I just don't really ever know quite what to write so I guess I will just write about my day and if something is interesting obviously I will add that in.
I had my first Chemistry test today and I think I did okay. I think it is the best test Ihave taken in Chemistry for a very long time. My prof. likes to give us tests on lab days so I also had lab. We reacted sodium metal with different alcohols. Once we were done with that it was time to dispose of the sodium and alcohol. My professor told my lab partner to take the reacted sodium metal and put it in some water to get rid of any tiny little bit of sodium that may be still unreacted. So she did a little hesitantly. At first there was nothing so I went over to look and all of a sudden there was a pop and some steam shot up out of the beaker. It made me jump because we had been told what could happen if you were to add too much of the sodium metal to water at a time. Anyway I turned around to empty a couple of test tubes into the hazardous waste bucket and about 3 seconds later the beaker was on fire. There was a flame filling the width of the beaker and going a couple of inches above the top of the beaker. This was not supposed to happen although it is what can happen. I guess that there was more of that sodium metal in there than our professor thought. It was pretty cool.
It is kind of funny because I was just thinking earlier in the lab period that no one has ever really started anything on fire or made anything explode. And then it happened right in my very own group. So that was my exciting moment for the day.

No comments: