Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Planting Time

Okay so I am supposed to be studying right now for my Biology test tomorrow. I decided to take a break and blog something since I have not been on here for a while.
I have always thought about going out an getting those indoor plant starter kits but have never done it. This is just my third year of having a garden and I thought that since it took so long to actually harvest anything last year that I would get an early start this year and hopefully be able to enjoy some garden goodies a little earlier this summer. I went to Menards today and bought a bunch of seeds and a couple of those plastic containers that have the individual sections for planting. I am trying something for the very first time. I have planted some tomato plants from seed and am hoping to grow my own plants instead of buying from a greenhouse. If I can do this it will save me quite a bit of money. I also planted my pepper plants and I usually buy these already grown. I was able to plant forty tomato plants for the price of about six already started plants from the greenhouse. So this is day one and the seed packets say that it takes about 7-10 days for the seeds to sprout. I am going to try to keep track on this blog how all of this goes. This will give me a reason to get on here and it will give me a journal to help me keep track of how things go so I can look back at it next year and see what I did well and what I can change to make it better. So my goal this year is to can even more stuff than last year. I would like to can more pizza sauce. Tomato juice, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce and more salsa. I think I would also like to have some strawberries so I can maybe make my own jam from my own berries instead of getting them from the store.
You know when I was a kid and I had to help my mom weed the garden or pick the beans and peas I really didn't like it very much. Now that I am an adult and have my own garden I am really enjoying this gardening thing. My kids even get kind of excited about it at least until they have to go out and weed in the middle of July that is. I guess I really don't enjoy that either but the good things outweigh the bad stuff. It is so great to be able to go down to the basement and pull out a can of homeade salsa or tomato juice and know exactly where it came from and what is in it.
Okay so again this is day one and hopefully in not too many days I will be able to post some pictures of my little growing plants.
I have 40 tomato plants, jalapeno, bell peppers, beans, peas, watermelon, cucumber, and I will also plant garlic, cilantro, onions, carrots, and pumpkins for the kids to have at halloween. That is the plan for now anyway. I will be back.

No comments: